Monday, July 28

23 Days Of Vacation

Day 8: Golden Gate Bridge, CA





















This is a beautiful sight, no?

I must have crossed the Golden Gate Bridge a hundred times in my life, but it wasn't until I had all 3 children that I walked across it. I shouldn't have waited. Beneath you pass passenger ships, tankers, and sailboats. Travelers you don't see include sea lions, sharks, even the occasional whale. To the east is San Francisco Bay, the city skyline, Alcatraz, and a whole continent. To the west the Pacific rolls on and on and on until it touches the shores of Japan. The feel of the wind, the smell of the ocean, and the sound of the gulls contibute to the bridge's many moods, which change depending on the weather, season, and time of day. I look forward to traversing it one day during an early morning fog, or a strong rain or an autumn sunset.

Goldengatebridge.org is informative, although disappointing for a cultural and historical landmark 50 miles from the center of the computer industry.

Teasers on this trip: Presidio, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Red & White fleet

No comments: