Friday, September 28

Kingfisher The Schmuck


There's no two ways about it. Firing someone sucks. Even if they deserve it. Whether or not they grasp the fact that performance, or lack of, is their fault, you will always be "the schmuck who fired me." But beyond that, for a moment, you have control over a part of someone's life, and you are responsible for pulling the rug from under them. I always feel rotten for hours after doing it.

Time for a beer. And a Cazadores. And a Jamesons. And a Goldschlager. And a wuttuvyagot, bartender.

I'll forget for a while, but I will still feel rotten tomorrow for something that isn't my fault.

2 comments:

rennratt said...

Man.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I have only fired one person. I still get nauseous just THINKING about it.

The second and third may not be far off.

tiff said...

My usual way (when I managed people) was to make things so difficult for them that they just up and quit. :>

It still sucked.